Welcome - Jim Thomas, LMFT, Institute for Change, P.C.
As a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist & Certified EFT Therapist, I recognize the central importance of relationships in the well-being of individuals, couples, families, and communities. As a Clinical Fellow, American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, I focus on people's strengths and possibilities while addressing their real life problems. I want to help you break the negative cycles in your relationship and discover a deeper, more fulfilling connection with your partner or family members. I also offer supervision in marriage and family therapy and Emotionally Focused Therapy, as an AAMFT Approved Supervisor and Internationally Certified EFT Trainer and Supervisor through the International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy.
My work is holistic. I seek to engage the best in you, your partner, your family, and your life. From that place, we address the frustrations, pain, and difficulties that brought you to therapy. Clients tell me they value my openness, willingness to give feedback, ability to provide structure in sessions as needed, and abiilty to foster a deeper emotional bond with each other. I offer individual therapy & life coaching.
Common Questions Couples Face When Distressed:
- Is our relationship worth saving or is it too late?
- Do you offer pre-marital counseling?
- How do we balance family and career?
- What about our sexual issues and lack of intimacy?
- Could we just get a “booster” shot for our relationship?
- Should I stay in an unsatisfying marriage for the sake of the children?
- Can I regain those old feelings of love for my partner?
- Can we find new feelings for each other?
- Will our marriage survive after an emotional or sexual affair?
- What do I need to know the second-time around? How do we blend our families?
- Can the compulsive behavior that hurts us both ever stop?
- Can couples counseling really help?
- Is there a well-researched ways, an approach, to helping couples in distress?
I bring twenty-five years and well over 20,000 hours of clinical experience to this work. It is my passion. Couples describe my style as warm, open and engaging. My approach allows each of you the space to express your concerns while maintaining emotional safety. We work together to address real life issues, and I am open to feedback throughout the therapy process.
Each couple is unique. Some people need to go deeply in to past hurts while others want to deal with more immediate problems. We will discover together the best approach to improving your relationships and life. I build on couple's research, and the work of Dr. Susan Johnson. I combine this with my own insights from over 25 years of experience. We then work together collaboratively based on your goals and situation.
Common Benefits of Couples Counseling:
- Increased respect and appreciation
- Revitalized sexual desire and satisfaction
- Greater understanding and closeness
- Create a process for healing and forgiveness
after an affair
- Time together sharing interests and activities
- Increased ability to resolve conflicts
- Ability to maintain improvements in your
- Physical health benefits have been reported in recent studies
“E.F.T. for Couples is an evidence-based approach to helping couples move from distress and conflict to closeness and connection. Developed by Dr. Sue Johnson, it has 26 outcome studies published in peer-reviewed journals. E.F.T. provides a road map to healing and relational improvement. I am so dedicated to this model that I became the 28th ICEEFT Certified EFT Trainer in the world. Every week in my office, I see the power and utility of this approach. I welcome the opportunity to share it with you.” - Jim Thomas, L.M.F.T., Approved Supervisor
The Institute for Change, P.C. Jim Thomas, L.M.F.T., Approved Supervisor303.933.9104
committed to or
supportive of a cause